Sweet and Sour Vegetarian Meatballs
These Gluten Free Sweet and Sour Vegetarian Meatballs are made with Sweet Potatoes and Navy Beans. I used Dried Navy Beans so I had to soak them in water in the fridge overnight. You could get away with soaking them for a few hours if you’re strapped for time. You could also use canned beans if it’s easier.
The texture of these Vegetarian Meatballs is Different from Real Meatballs but they are a very tasty replacement none the less. They’re easy to make and can be made ahead of time and frozen until needed.
For the Vegetarian Meatballs
1 Large Sweet Potato
1/2 of a White Onion Minced
1 Cup of Dried Navy Beans
2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Corn Flake Crumbs (finely ground)
1 Tsp Dried Basil
1 Tsp Dried Oregano
1/2 Tsp Salt
Pepper to taste
For the Sweet and Sour Sauce
1 Cup Water
1/2 Cup Vinegar
1/2 Cup Gluten Free Ketchup
2 Tbsp Corn Starch
1 Cup Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp Gluten Free Soy Sauce
1. Soak dried beans in water in the fridge overnight.
2. Drain, then cook beans in boiling water for 30 minutes.
3. Peel, dice and boil the sweet potato. Then strain and mash, add the brown sugar then set aside.
4. Strain the beans and mash them into a paste.
5. Mix the beans and sweet potatoes together, then add the minced onion, corn flake crumbs and spices. Mix until well blended.
6. Place into a bowl or container and put in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
7. Using a small spoon make 1 inch balls and place onto a well oiled pan.
8. Bake at 425 F for 30-40 minutes carefully turning a few times throughout.
9. In a pot bring water and vinegar to boil.
10. Add the brown sugar and ketchup, then corn starch and soy sauce.
11. Bring to boil once again over low heat.
12. Once the sauce has thickened, set to the side.
Cover the Vegetarian meatballs with the sweet and sour sauce right before serving.
If you liked this recipe for Sweet and Sour Vegetarian Meatballs, Then you may also like these recipes
Let’s Connect on Social Media