These Grilled Chicken Kabobs are made with a flavourful homemade marinade and colourful vegetables that are grilled to perfection. The recipe is great as an appetizer when entertaining or a light dinner the whole family would enjoy.
What are Grilled Chicken Kabobs?
Chicken kabobs are cubes of marinated chicken and colourful vegetables, skewered and grilled to perfection. The bold kabob marinade makes all the difference in giving you tender grilled kabobs that are packed with flavour!
What Ingredients do you need to make Grilled Chicken Kabobs?
For this recipe you’ll need boneless, skinless chicken breasts and vegetables. I like to use bell peppers, zucchini and onion. You’ll also need to make a marinade for the chicken. We made a sugar free and low carb marinade with garlic and onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, lime juice and olive oil. You will also need metal or wooden skewers.
Marinading The Chicken Kebabs
It’s important when you marinate chicken that you keep a few things in mind.
- Chicken should marinate for 1/2 hour to 24 hours. For this recipe I’m recommending 1/2 hour, but you could definitely start the marinade the night before.
- Do not marinate chicken for more than 24 hours. It will make the chicken gummy and unappetizing.
Finally, though we are only marinating the chicken, it will impact the flavour of the vegetables. The vegetables will pick up the flavour of the marinade on the grill and be delicious alongside the chicken.
How to Make Grilled Chicken Kebabs with Vegetables
Substitutions for Chicken Kebabs
– Pieces of steak or pork can be substituted for chicken, but cook times will vary.
– Use any bell peppers in this recipe. Coloured peppers like red, orange and yellow are sweeter than green.
– Use white, sweet onions or purple onions.
– Add fresh mushrooms, cherry tomatoes or even fresh pineapple to these skewers.
WHAT IS THE KETOGENIC DIET?
The ketogenic diet (often called keto) is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares similarities to paleo, Whole30, and Atkins. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake, and replacing it with fat. When your body switches to burning fat for its primary fuel source, that’s when you hit ketosis.
While on the Keto diet you’re supposed to get at least 70 percent of your calories from fat, 15 to 25 percent from protein, and 10 percent from carbohydrates. You’re supposed to avoid all grains, legumes, root vegetables, fruit, (except berries) and sugar.
Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Vegetables
We love grilling shish kabobs for dinner because they are full of flavour, easy to make and fun to eat. Grilled kabobs have an advantage over other grilled chicken recipes: the bite-size pieces of chicken soak up extra flavour from the marinade so that every bite is intensely flavourful and satisfying. The delicious chicken kabobs are gluten, sugar and dairy free, low carb and keto, which makes them an awesome dish for feeding groups of people with diverse dietary needs.
Since these chicken skewers are such a summery dish I like to serve them with an equally summery side dish like my Loaded Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad or my Smashed Brussels Sprouts. They’re perfect for impressing guests or for spoiling someone special.
– If using wooden skewers, you’ll need to soak the skewers in water before using.
– These Chicken Shish Kabobs cook on the grill for around 14 to 18 minutes. It is important to remember that if you cut your chicken bigger it will need to cook longer.
– Cut the chicken and vegetables into even sizes so they cook evenly.
– To cook in the oven: Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place kabobs on the baking sheet and bake at 425° F for 24-30 minutes, turning them occasionally, until chicken is cooked to 165° F. I use kitchen tongs to turn the kabobs, as the skewers are hot.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Keto Grilled Chicken Kabobs. If you aren’t already following my Keto/ Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I post all my New Recipes, You can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
★DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW IN THE RECIPE CARD!★
Grilled Chicken Kabobs
- For the Chicken Marinade
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 of a Lime juice
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- For the Kabobs
- 2 Chicken Breasts
- 1/2 of a Red Pepper
- 1/2 of a Yellow Pepper
- 1 small Onion
- 1 small Zucchini
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 20 minutes.
- Combine the chicken marinade ingredients in a zip-top bag or dish: garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, paprika, salt, lime juice and olive oil. Mix until completely combined.
- Add the chicken pieces to the marinade. Make sure that all of the chicken is coated with the marinade. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Place the zucchini rounds, onion slices and chopped bell peppers in a baking dish or bowl. Drizzle with the 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with salt; toss gently to coat.
- Put the chicken and vegetables on the skewers, dividing evenly between the 6 skewers and arranging the vegetable pieces in between the chicken pieces.
- Grill over medium heat for 12-16 minutes, turning every few minutes to cook all sides evenly. Kabobs are done when chicken is cooked through to an internal temperature of 165° F.
This recipe makes 6 Grilled Chicken Kabobs
1 Serving = 2 Chicken Kabobs
238 Calories | 16 g Fat | 8.3 g Carbs | 1.6 g Fiber | 18.6 g Protein
6.7 g Net Carbs per 2 Skewers
Note: Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
Other Keto Friendly/Low Carb Recipes:
If you love this Recipe for Keto Grilled Chicken Kabobs, check out some of my other Keto Friendly Recipes Here:
Tried this recipe? Mention @officiallyglutenfree or tag #officiallyglutenfree to share your creations!
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to this recipe instead.
Keto Grilled Chicken Kabobs
Keywords: Keto Grilled Chicken Kabobs; Keto Chicken Recipe; Keto Kabob Recipes; Recipes for Chicken Skewers; Easy Keto Lunch Recipes; Low Carb Chicken Recipes; Keto Chicken Dinner Recipes; Family Friendly Keto Recipes; keto chicken and vegetable kabob; best chicken skewers; keto chicken skewer recipes; Grilled Chicken Kabobs with Vegetables; Marinated Grilled Chicken Kabob recipe