These Delicious Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are white button mushroom caps stuffed with Italian sausage, sauerkraut and three kinds of cheese. These mushrooms are naturally keto, gluten free, low carb and only require a handful of ingredients. They can also be prepped ahead of time, making them the perfect party appetizer!
What kind of mushrooms are best for stuffed mushrooms?
I like to use regular white button mushrooms for my stuffed mushrooms because they have a mild flavor that pairs perfectly with the savory sausage filling. You can also use large portobello mushrooms if you’re looking for an entree sized stuffed mushroom.
What cheese is best for sausage stuffed mushrooms?
I use three types of cheese in these mushrooms: cream cheese, parmesan cheese and mozzarella cheese. The cream cheese acts as a binder, the parmesan adds flavor and shredded Mozzarella’s mild creaminess complements the stronger flavors of the sausage. Other great cheese options are fontina, monterey jack or cheddar cheese.
How long do you bake stuffed mushrooms?
Sausage stuffed mushrooms need to bake for about 20 minutes. The mushrooms are done when the tops are crispy and browned and the mushroom caps are tender all the way through.
Can Stuffed Mushrooms be made in an Air fryer?
Yes, it would work well. Fry them at 400°F for 7-8 minutes or so. You would need to do this in batches so the mushrooms will fit in a single layer.
How do you clean mushrooms?
Mushrooms are very absorbent, so if you wash them or submerge them in water, they can become rubbery when you cook them. Instead, use a damp paper towel and wipe them off.
Can you freeze Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms?
Stuffed mushrooms can be frozen! Add assembled but unbaked stuffed mushrooms to a wax/parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until frozen solid. Transfer to a freezer-safe container, label with the date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
How do you make sausage stuffed mushrooms?
To make the delicious Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms:
Step 1: Start by preheating your oven to 350°F. Wipe mushrooms clean with lightly damp paper towels (I used 24 medium mushrooms). Remove stems and scoop out the brown gills from inside the mushrooms, being careful not to break through the shell. Place the mushroom caps into a mixing bowl and cover with olive oil. Gently stir until the mushrooms are coated in the oil. Arrange mushroom caps with the opening facing up on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Step 2: In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned, breaking it apart with your spatula into crumbles. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 cup sauerkraut. Let cook for 1 or 2 minutes then, remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper and 1/2 cup cream cheese along with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
Step 3: Divide the sausage mixture between the mushroom caps then cover each of them with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle them with parmesan cheese and bake uncovered in the center of the oven for 18 – 20 minutes.
WHAT IS THE KETOGENIC DIET?
The ketogenic diet (often called keto) is a very low-carb, high-fat diet that shares similarities to paleo, Whole30, and Atkins. It involves drastically reducing carbohydrate intake, and replacing it with fat. When your body switches to burning fat for its primary fuel source, that’s when you hit ketosis.
While on the Keto diet you’re supposed to get at least 70 percent of your calories from fat, 15 to 25 percent from protein, and 10 percent from carbohydrates. You’re supposed to avoid all grains, legumes, root vegetables, fruit, (except berries) and sugar.
Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
This recipe for Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms requires minimal effort and only uses simple and easy to find ingredients like white button mushrooms, sausage and cream cheese. The stuffed mushrooms are also naturally high in protein and are paleo and low carb as well as gluten free.
Looking for some more delicious Keto Recipes? You’re in luck! I have some of my readers favourite recipes to share. Their number 1 favourite are these Keto Bacon Dill Pickle Fat Bombs. Everyone loves how quick and easy they are to make. Another one of Their favourites, are these tasty Keto Jalapeño Popper Taquitos. They’re perfect for impressing party guests or for spoiling someone special.
- The stuffed mushrooms can be made in advance and reheated.
- To Store: Refrigerate mushrooms in an airtight storage container for up to 3 days.
- To Reheat: The best way to reheat leftover stuffed mushrooms is in the oven. Place the mushrooms in a baking dish in the oven at 350 degrees F. In a pinch, you can rewarm in the microwave.
- To Freeze: Add assembled but unbaked stuffed mushrooms to a wax/parchment paper lined baking sheet and place in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until frozen solid. Transfer to a freezer-safe container, label with the date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
- You can use any type of sausage that you like. I typically use a mild Italian sausage, but hot works just as well. You can buy bulk sausage, or simply remove the casings from the sausage before you cook it.
- The stuffed mushrooms can be made in an oven proof skillet instead of a baking pan.
- The left over mushroom stems can be diced up and added to the sausage mixture or can be saved for future stir fry, soups, omelettes or casseroles.
- Garnish the Stuffed mushrooms with fresh parsley, thyme or chopped green onion.
- The Sauerkraut can be swapped out with diced white onion if preferred. You can also skip it altogether.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms If you aren’t already following my Keto/ Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I post all my New Recipes, You can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
★DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW IN THE RECIPE CARD!★
Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
- 24 White Button Mushrooms
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 lb Sausage Italian
- 1/2 Cup Sauerkraut
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 Cup Cream Cheese
- 1 Cup Mozzarella Cheese divided
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Wipe mushrooms clean with lightly damp paper towels. Remove stems and scoop out the brown gills from inside the mushrooms, being careful not to break through the shell.
- Place the mushroom caps into a mixing bowl and cover with olive oil. Gently stir until the mushrooms are coated in the oil. Arrange mushroom caps with the opening facing up on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage until browned, breaking it apart with your spatula into crumbles. Add 2 minced garlic cloves and 1/2 cup sauerkraut. Let cook for 1 or 2 minutes then, remove from heat. Stir in salt and pepper and 1/2 cup cream cheese along with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Divide and stuff the sausage mixture between the mushroom caps then cover each of them with the remaining mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle them with parmesan cheese and bake uncovered in the center of the oven for 18 - 20 minutes.
- Garnish with fresh Parsley
This recipe makes 24 medium size Stuffed Mushrooms
1 Serving = 2 Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
119 Calories | 9.83 g Fat | 3 g Carbs | .5 g Fiber | 5.83 g Protein
2.5 g Net Carb per 2 Stuffed Mushrooms
Note: Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
Other Keto Friendly/Low Carb Recipes:
If you love this Recipe for Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms, check out some of my other Keto Friendly Recipes Here:
Tried this recipe? Mention @officiallyglutenfree or tag #officiallyglutenfree to share your creations!
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to this recipe instead.
Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Keywords: Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms; Keto Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms Recipe; Keto Sausage Recipes; Recipes using Mushrooms and sausage; Easy Keto Appetizer Recipes; Low Carb Sausage Recipes; Keto Holiday recipes; Keto stuffed mushroom recipes; keto game day recipe; family friendly keto recipes