Cream of Celery Soup
This Gluten Free Cream of Celery Soup is great way to use up what’s in the fridge. I had some extra celery from another recipe I had made, that needed to get used up. I also had what was left of the roasted Chicken from last nights dinner. Since Cream of Celery Soup has been one of my favorites for years I though I’d throw this one together for dinner tonight. I make stock with the chicken caucus when we have Roasted Chickens for Dinner. It’s a tasty way to get an extra meal out of what would have gone in the garbage. You can make so many things with it. I often freeze it in portioned containers for future use.
6 Tbsp Butter
1 White Onion
4 Cloves of Garlic
8-10 Celery Stocks
5 Cups Chicken Stock
1 Cup Milk
2 Tbsp Rice Flour
1 Tbsp Corn Starch
1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese ( Shredded)
Salt and Pepper to Taste
1. Mince the onion and garlic and fry in 3 Tbsp of butter, in a large pot, over low heat for 10 minutes.
2. Wash, chop, then add the celery to the pot. Let fry on low for another 10 minutes.
3. Add the chicken stock, then let simmer for 1/2 an hour.
4. In a small pot melt 3 Tbsp of butter over medium heat. Then add the flour and corn starch, stir into a paste. Let brown for 1 minute, then slowly stir in the milk. Stir constantly until it begins to boil. Then add to the main soup pot.
5. Add the mozzarella cheese. Stir well, then add the salt and pepper to taste.
6. Let simmer on low for 1/2 hour.
There’s nothing like having a sandwich to go with your soup. If there’s enough Chicken left over before making stock I use it to make Chicken Salad for sandwiches or lettuce wraps. Sometimes I eat it out of a bowl with shredded lettuce, diced pickles and cheese on top.
Here’s my Chicken Salad recipe:
1 Cup of Cooked Chicken
1/4 of White Onion
2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
1 Tbsp Mustard
Salt and Pepper, to taste.
1. Mince the chicken and onion.
2. In a large bowl add the add the chicken and onion. Then add the mayonnaise, mustard, salt and pepper. Mix well.
3. Serve on gluten free bread, in bowl topped with lettuce or wrap in lettuce.
Do you make your own chicken stock? I put all the bones and skin into a large pot and cover with water. You can add onion and spices but I usually just add that later. Boil over medium heat for one hour, then use a strainer to strain the liquid off of the bones. Return the stock to the pot then add 1 Tbsp salt and pepper to taste.
If you liked this Gluten Free Cream of Celery Soup recipe, you may also love these recipes for:
Let’s Connect on Social Media