These Smashed Sweet Potatoes are fluffy and soft on the inside with a buttery crispy outside, smothered in garlic butter and parmesan cheese! They make a delicious addition to weeknight dinners, a mouthwatering game day snack and a crowd-pleasing Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish.
What are Smashed Sweet Potatoes?
If you are looking for a fun gluten free side dish to make for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or to go along with any meal, try these smashed sweet potatoes! They have a glorious crispy skins, comforting creamy middles, and a savoury garlic-Parmesan flavour. They are SO fun and delicious!
I’m a huge fan of potato wedges, roasted potatoes, and of course French fries, but these crispy smashed sweet potatoes might just be my favourite potatoes yet. Conveniently, they’re perfect for a wide variety of occasions. They make a mouthwatering game day snack and a crowd-pleasing Thanksgiving and Christmas side dish.
What Ingredients do you need to make Smashed Sweet Potatoes?
To make these deliciously crispy smashed sweet potatoes you’ll need:
- Sweet Potatoes
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Parmesan Cheese
How do you make Smashed Sweet Potatoes?
To make these Gluten Free Garlic Butter Smashed Sweet Potatoes:
Step 1: Wash then cut the sweet potatoes into ¾-inch thick, round slices. Try to get the slices as uniform as possible so that they’ll cook in the same amount of time. Steam or boil the potatoes for 20 – 25 minutes.
Step 2: Preheat oven to broil and grease a large baking sheet with the olive oil. Arrange sweet potatoes onto the sheet and gently smash each potato with a fork (they will be soft, so try not to press too hard).
Step 3: Mix together the melted butter, garlic and parsley. Drizzle the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
MORE GLUTEN FREE SIDE DISH RECIPES TO TRY:
- Loaded Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
- Sweet Potato Bites with Marshmallow
- Honey Dill Carrots
- Smashed Brussel Sprouts
Recipe Notes for making the best Smashed Sweet Potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes: look for long, medium size sweet potatoes, not large fat ones if possible. It will make them easier to smash.
- I don’t peel the potatoes because the skin makes them extra crispy.
- Using parchment paper is my default, but I don’t recommend that you use it here. Baking the potatoes directly on the oiled sheet pan helps them become extra crispy underneath.
- Olive oil + butter: I much prefer the extra flavour and crispiness that melted butter adds. That said, butter will smoke much more at high heat, so I recommend brushing the pan with olive oil first (or misting it with cooking spray) and then using butter to brush or drizzle onto the smashed potatoes themselves.
- Feel free to add whatever seasonings you love best, either before or after baking.
- Make them vegan: Just use vegan butter or olive oil in place of the butter and skip the Parm.
- Store in the fridge: After they’ve cooled, store the smashed sweet potatoes in an airtight container in your fridge. They last up to 4 days!
- To reheat: Preheat your oven to 350 F. Then, place them on a cookie sheet and bake them for 15-20 minutes.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Easy Smashed Sweet Potatoes. If you aren’t already Following my Keto/Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I Post all my New Recipes, you can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
★DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!★
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3-4 Sweet Potatoes small
- 1/4 Cup Butter
- 3 Cloves Garlic small
- 1 Tbsp Parsley
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- Wash then cut the sweet potatoes into ¾-inch thick, round slices. Try to get the slices as uniform as possible so that they’ll cook in the same amount of time. Steam or boil the potatoes for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Preheat oven to broil and grease a large baking sheet with the olive oil (or use cooking spray). Arrange sweet potatoes onto the sheet and gently smash each potato with a fork (they will be soft, so try not to press too hard).
- Mix together the melted butter, garlic and parsley. Drizzle the mixture over each sweet potato. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Broil until they are golden and crispy (about 10 minutes). Remove from oven, sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and return to the oven for another 5 - 7 minutes. Season with a little salt and parsley.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
If you Love this Gluten Free Easy Smashed Sweet Potato Recipe, check out some of my other Gluten Free Side Dish Recipes Here:
Tried this recipe? Mention @officiallyglutenfree or tag #officiallyglutenfree to share your creations!
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to this recipe instead.
Smashed Sweet Potatoes
Keywords: Smashed Sweet potatoes; Easy Smashed Sweet potato Recipe; Gluten Free Smashed Sweet Potatoes Recipes; Gluten Free recipes using Sweet Potatoes; Easy Gluten Free side dishes; Smashed Sweet potato Recipes with garlic and Parmesan; Parmesan Sweet Potato recipes; Gluten Free Smashed Sweet Potatoes with parmesan cheese; gluten free Smashed Sweet Potato recipes; family friendly Gluten free side dishes; Side dishes for Thanksgiving