These crispy roasted Smashed Brussel Sprouts with parmesan cheese and garlic are not only quick and easy to make, they also just happen to be gluten free, low carb and keto friendly! They’re a family friendly vegetable side dish that’s best served with chicken, steak, pork chops, salads or fish. The deliciously crispy smashed up brussel sprouts also make an amazing low carb snack.
Why You’ll Love This Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts Recipe
These crispy brussel sprouts are made extra special because they’re smashed and roasted with parmesan cheese, butter, salt, and garlic. Each bite is a delicious little bomb of flavour! If you like smashed potatoes, you’ll love these smashed brussel sprouts!
Ingredients You’ll Need
You only need 5 ingredients to make this recipe for smashed brussel sprouts. First you need 1 lb of brussel sprouts which can either be fresh or frozen. Then you’ll need 2 Tbsp of melted butter or olive oil if preferred. To season the brussel sprouts you’ll need a Tsp of garlic puree and salt and pepper. I used a store bought garlic puree but you can swap it our for minced garlic or garlic powder. Lastly you’ll need parmesan cheese. This will help the brussel sprouts to get extra crispy.
How Do You Make Smashed Brussel Sprouts?
To make these delicious Smashed Brussel Sprouts start by preheating your oven to 425 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper, then trim the bottoms off of the brussel sprouts. Next steam or boil them until they are fork tender (around 15 minutes). If you are using frozen brussel sprouts, cook them according to the package directions. Strain them, then set them aside in a colander and cool for a few minutes.
Toss the brussel sprouts with melted butter (or olive oil), garlic and salt, then spread them out onto your prepared baking dish. Use the bottom of a cup to smash them flat. Evenly spoon the grated parmesan cheese onto the top of the smashed brussel sprouts. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese turns a deep golden brown and the edges of the brussel sprouts are crispy.
Common Questions about making Smashed Brussels Sprouts
Why Do the Brussel Spouts need to be boiled? They need to be boiled to soften them enough to be smashed. I like to give them a quick boil first but you can also steam them on the stove or in the microwave, if that’s easiest for you.
Are larger or smaller Brussel Sprouts better for roasting? You can use either but smaller sprouts will get a bit crispier in the oven so that’s my personal preference. If you do have any giant sprouts you could halve them after boiling.
Can I use frozen Brussel Sprouts? Yes, you can use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts for this recipe. If using frozen, I generally use a 12 ounce package.
Are Smashed Brussels Sprouts Keto friendly? Yes they are keto friendly. 1/4 of the batch has 9 g of carbs but they are also high in fiber so that gives them 6 g net carbs in total. That makes them a great keto side dish, paired up with a steak or chicken breast.
What kind of pan is best for this recipe? I like to use a rimmed baking sheet pan.
What temperature is best for roasted Brussel sprouts? Roasting Brussel sprouts needs to be done at high heat such as 425. Lower heat such as 350, will bake them and not roast them. High heat equals crisp edges.
Smashed Brussel Sprouts
This Smashed Brussel Sprouts recipe will change the game on the vegetable everyone loves to hate. It’s cheesy, it’s decadent, and it give other keto side dishes a run for their money as the PERFECT potato substitute. The recipe requires minimal effort and only uses only simple and easy to find ingredients like brussels sprouts, butter and parmesan cheese. The key to making the best brussel sprouts is to simply steam them, smash them, season… then roast them.
Looking for some other low carb veggie swaps? You’re in luck! I have some of my families favourite recipes to share. Our absolute fav are these Bacon Zucchini Fries I love that they’re so easy and quick to make. Another one of our favourites, is this tasty Keto Jicama Fries They’re perfect for impressing dinner guests or for spoiling someone special. Let us know how they turned out for you in the comments below!
– You can use fresh or frozen brussel sprouts for this recipe. If using frozen, I generally use a 12 ounce package.
– This recipe uses garlic puree. I used a store bought garlic puree that comes in a jar but you can puree your own in a food processor or use a mortar and pestle to smash it up. You can also just swap it our for minced garlic or garlic powder if you want to.
– You can also use a potato masher or fork to gently smash each brussel sprout.
– The Parmesan Cheese can be swapped out for mozzarella cheese if preferred.
– Olive oil can be switched out for the butter if needed.
– To get the brussel sprouts extra flat and crispy, boil or steam them a little longer.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Keto Smashed Brussel Sprouts. If you aren’t already following my Keto/ Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I post all my New Recipes, You can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
Smashed Brussel Sprouts
- 1 lb Brussel Sprouts
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tsp Garlic puree
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F, then line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Trim the bottoms and any bruised leaves off of the brussel sprouts. Next steam or boil them until they're fork tender (about 15 minutes). If you are using frozen brussel sprouts, cook them according to the package directions. Strain them, then set them aside in a colander and cool for a few minutes.
- Toss the brussel sprouts with melted butter (or olive oil) and garlic and salt, then spread them out onto your prepared baking dish. Use the bottom of a cup to smash them flat.
- Evenly spoon the grated parmesan cheese onto the top of the smashed brussel sprouts. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the cheese turns a deep golden brown and the edges of the brussel sprouts are crispy.
This recipe for Smashed Brussels Sprouts makes 4 Servings
1 Serving / 1/4 of the batch
365 Calories | 7.5 g Fat | 9 g Carbs | 3 g Fiber | 4.5 g Protein
6 g Net Carbs per 1/4 of the recipe
Note: Nutritional information provided is an estimate and will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
Other Keto Friendly/Low Carb Recipes:
If you love this Recipe for Keto Smashed Brussel Sprouts, check out some of my other Keto Friendly Vegetable Recipes Here:
- Keto Bacon Zucchini Fries
- Spinach Cauliflower Mac and Cheese
- Keto Zucchini Skins
- Low Carb Loaded Broccoli Cauliflower Salad
Tried this recipe? Mention @officiallyglutenfree or tag #officiallyglutenfree to share your creations!
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to this recipe instead.
Smashed Brussel Sprouts
Keywords: Smashed Brussel Sprouts; Easy Keto Smashed Brussel Sprout Recipe; Keto Brussels Sprouts Recipes; Keto recipes using brussels sprouts; Easy Keto side dish Recipes; Low Carb Brussel sprout Recipes; Parmesan Brussel sprout recipes; Keto Smashed Brussels Sprouts with parmesan cheese; gluten free Smashed Brussel Sprout recipes; family friendly keto recipes; keto vegetable side dish recipes