These Gluten Free Butter Tarts are a Canadian favourite! The delicious tarts are made with a flaky gluten free butter pie crust that’s filled with a rich buttery caramel filling and topped with salty pecan pieces. The yummy Butter tart is Canadian classic dessert made of brown sugar, butter and eggs.
How to make Gluten Free Butter Tarts with Flaky Butter Crust
Pie crust can be a little challenging to make but if you take your time and keep mixing it, a lovely dough ball will form. When I’m rolling the dough out, I press the sides back in as I go. I will do a few rolls with the rolling pin, then press it all tightly back together again. Then a few more rolls, and so on.
A trick That I found very helpful, is to use a piece of parchment paper or a thin plastic mat to roll it out on. It makes it much easier to get the crust really thin and helps a lot if you need to flip the crust into a pie pan. One more important factor in making great Pie Crust is keeping the dough cold. Placing the dough in the fridge for half hour before rolling it out and again for 10 minutes before the filling goes into it, helps keep the crust nice and flaky but not too dry.
Butter Tarts make a great Handmade Gift for Family and Friends
For years I’ve been making homemade Butter Tarts for Christmas Gifts for my family and friends. Every year they happily put in their special orders before Christmas. Some like raisins, some like theirs with no pecans and others wanted extra nuts. I think there’s something special about making homemade gifts for people, rather than buying them. They appreciate it so much more and love getting exactly what they chose.
Gluten Free Butter Tarts
Since going Gluten Free I haven’t been making Butter Tarts. My old Gluten Free Pie Crust was just too crumbly for a tart. A few months ago I made a delicious Gluten Free Butter Pie Crust that actually holds up and I have been dying to make these Gluten Free Butter Tarts with it. It’s been years since I’ve had one and these Gluten Free Butter Tarts didn’t disappoint. The Light and Flaky Butter Crust is a perfect match for the Sweet Buttery, Butter Tart Filling. These Tarts are seriously addictive.
If you’re looking for another delicious Gluten Free Recipe for the Holidays, try these delicious Gluten Free Blueberry Cheesecake Tarts. They’re made with an easy to make Gluten Free Shortbread Cookie Cup Tart and are topped with a light and fluffy No Bake Cheesecake Topping. They’re sure to impress even you non gluten free friends and family.
- Rice Flour can vary from brand to brand. I’ve found that measurements can be different depending on the brand you’re using. The Thai brand which has red writing on the bag is ground finer and can take more than the Indian rice flour that I get at Superstore. Both brands work wonderfully but there is a slight difference in the measurements, as I mentioned. Because of this, I like to add the flour a little a time until the consistency is right.
- A trick That I found very helpful, is to use a piece of parchment paper or a thin plastic mat to roll it out on. It makes it much easier to get the crust really thin and helps a lot if you need to flip the crust into a pie pan.
- One more important factor in making great Pie Crust is keeping the dough cold. Placing the dough in the fridge for half hour before rolling it out and again for 10 minutes before the filling goes into it, helps keep the crust nice and flaky but not too dry
- Some People like raisins in their Gluten Free Butter Tarts. I didn’t add any to this recipe but if you’re fond of them, you could add them in. Just soak 1 cup of raisins in hot water for 10 – 15 minutes. Drain them, then pat them dry. Add them into the brown sugar butter mixture before adding to the tarts.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Gluten Free Butter Tarts. If you aren’t already Following my Keto/Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I Post all my New Recipes, you can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
Gluten Free Butter Tarts
- For the Tarts
- 2 Cups Rice Flour
- 1 Cup Potato Starch Tapioca or Corn Starch
- 3/4 Cup Butter
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 2 Egg Yolks
- 1/4 Cup Milk
- 1 Tsp White Vinegar
- For the Filling
- 1/2 Cup Butter
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 2 Tbsp Heavy Cream
- 1/2 Cup Pecans
- For the Crust
- - Cut the cold butter into the flour, starch and sugar, mix until well combined. (I use my hands and squish the butter and flour together until a crumbly mixture forms)
- Add the egg yolk, milk and vinegar. Then mix with your hands pressing it into the bottom of the bowl and kneading it like bread dough. The dough seems a little to dry at first but keep mixing it and a firm dough will form after a few minutes.
- Place the dough in a disc shape, wrapped in plastic wrap in the fridge for 1/2 hour.
- On a lightly rice floured piece of parchment paper, roll out the dough. If the dough breaks or cracks just press it back together with your fingers.
- Use a large round cookie cutter or a large cup or bowl to cut out circles in the dough. Place the dough circles into a muffin tin. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- For the Filling
- - In a small pot over low heat, melt the butter. Add the sugar, then stir until well combined.
- Remove from heat, then add the eggs, cream and vanilla. Mix well, then fill the tarts 2/3 full. Place a few pecans on top of each of the tarts.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
- Let the Gluten Free Butter Tarts cool completely before eating.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
More Easy Gluten Free Recipes:
If you Love this Gluten Free Butter Tart Recipe, check out some of my other Gluten Free Recipes Here:
- Cookie Cutter Tortilla Chips
- Easy Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- Gluten Free Perogies
- Low Carb Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to this recipe, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipe or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to this recipe instead.
Gluten Free Butter Tarts
Keywords: Gluten Free Butter Tarts; Gluten Free Butter Pie Crust Recipe; Gluten Free crust Recipes; Butter Tart recipes using rice flour; Easy GF Pie crust recipes for tarts; Best Gluten Free Butter Tart Recipes; Gluten Free Pecan Tart Recipes; Gluten Free Thanksgiving dessert recipes; Gluten Free Christmas dessert recipes; Gluten Free Christmas Baking; Gluten Free Butter Tarts with Nuts; Gluten Free Pastry using a Muffin Pan