This gluten free Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is an easy to make breakfast or brunch that will be an instant family favourite and satisfy even your picky eaters. The classic breakfast is loaded with cheese and sausage and is topped with a crispy layer of tater tots. We like to serve up this cheesy dreamy casserole for breakfast or dinner!
What is Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Tater tot casserole originates from and has remained popular in the upper midwest United States. Casseroles and hot dishes both usually contain a variety of meat, veggies and starch. This Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is made with eggs, sausage, and cheese and it topped with yummy tater tots. It only takes a few minutes to throw together. You can make ahead of time, so it’s the perfect gluten free breakfast for Christmas morning or any day!
Sausage Tater Tots Breakfast Casserole is great for Great for potlucks, parties, gatherings and holidays because it feeds a lot of people without a lot of work. It’s a one-pan breakfast that has all your favourite breakfast foods: tater tots, breakfast sausage, eggs, cheese…Who doesn’t like that!
What Ingredients do you need to make Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Here is an overview of the ingredients used for this tater tot casserole. For the complete recipe, just keep scrolling.
- Sour Cream
- Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper
- Tater Tots
How do you Make a Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole?
Here’s how too make this Deliciously Easy Breakfast Recipe. The Full Recipe is in the recipe card below.
Step 1: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 9×9-inch baking dish.
Step 2: In a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the sausage meat and cook until crispy or browned (about 8 minutes – break up the meat with the tip of a wooden spoon)
Step 3: In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sour cream. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix in the sausages and cheddar cheese. Then pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
Step 4: Cover the egg mixture evenly with the tater tots and bake for approximately 1 hour or until eggs are no longer runny. You can test that by piercing the center of the breakfast casserole with a toothpick.
Substitutions for this Breakfast Casserole
Sausage Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole is a super easy and versatile dish. Feel free to substitute and make it your own!
- Breakfast Meat: Ham, bacon, or turkey sausage would be perfect!
- Potatoes: Diced potatoes or shredded hash browns would be fine to use.
- Cheese: Colby Jack, Pepper Jack, Swiss cheese, or Monterey Jack are good substitutions for the casserole.
- Milk: Mix it up! Add half and half or heavy cream in place of milk and sour cream.
- Veggies: Mix in mushrooms, bell peppers, onions or spinach.
More Easy Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes To Try:
Recipe Tips for Making the Best Gluten Free Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Are Tater Tots Gluten Free? Yes, they are… But while most tater tots are gluten-free, it is important to always check the label. There could be brands that add wheat flour.
- How do you store this breakfast casserole? Cover the casserole and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Can you freeze this breakfast casserole? This casserole can be frozen. First bake your breakfast casserole and once it has completely cooled, place in an airtight container or ziplock bag. When ready to warm up, place in oven and bake at 350 degrees until warmed through about 20 to 25 minutes.
- What’s the best sausage to use for breakfast casseroles? I use mild or spicy Italian Sausage but any type of ground sausage will work well. If using regular link sausages you’ll need remove the the sausage from the casing before cooking it.
- Use frozen tater tots for this recipe.
- Seasoning Feel free to add whatever seasoning that your family likes. I sometimes add a little garlic and onion powder to add a little extra flavour.
DON’T MISS ANY NEW RECIPES:
Don’t miss any recipes like these Gluten Free Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole. If you aren’t already Following my Keto/Gluten Free Recipe Page on Facebook where I Post all my New Recipes, you can Join Here and Follow me on Pinterest Here.
★DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!★
Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- 8 Eggs
- 1 lb Sausage
- 1/2 Cup Milk
- 1/2 Cup Sour Cream
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 Cups Tater Tots
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease an 9x9-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the sausage meat and cook until crispy or browned. Note: Remove the sausage from it the casing before cooking (if using regular sausages.)
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and sour cream. Season generously with salt and pepper. Mix in the sausages and cheddar cheese. Then pour the mixture into the greased baking dish.
- Cover the egg mixture evenly with the tater tots and bake for approximately 1 hour or until eggs are no longer runny. You can test that by piercing the center of the breakfast casserole with a toothpick.
Let’s Be Friends on Pinterest! I’m Always Sharing Great Recipes!
More Easy Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes For the Holidays:
If you Love this Gluten Free Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe, check out some of my other Gluten Free Breakfast Recipes Here:
© Copyright OfficiallyGlutenFree (Lyndsay Baker). I’d love you to share a link to these recipes, but please DO NOT COPY/PASTE the recipes or instructions to social media/websites. Please consider using a photo with a link to the recipe instead.
Gluten Free Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
Keywords: Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole; Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole Recipe; Gluten Free Breakfast Casserole Recipes; Recipes using tater tots; Easy gluten free Breakfast Recipes; Gluten Free Holiday Breakfast Recipes; Gluten Free Holiday Brunch recipes; Best gluten free breakfast recipes; Gluten free french toast casserole recipes; breakfast casserole recipes using tater tots and sausage